I thought I was going to die in my apartment

About a month ago, I got myself into a dangerous situation.

I had just moved into my new apartment.

It was great because I was living on my own for the first time in my life. I was just starting college and I was excited to make something out of my life. Well, the one day I was doing my laundry and I started to smell smoke. The fumes were intoxicating and it smelled basically like something was on fire. At first I thought the smoke came from the laundry machine, but it actually was coming from the HVAC closet. There was a closet for just the HVAC and the thing was entirely smoking! I shut off the HVAC system but that didn’t stop the smoke. I called everybody I could think of. I called emergency 911, my parents, my sibling, my friends, and I got outside as soon as I grabbed a few things that were important to me. I thought that my apartment might burn down which would be devastating to everybody in the building. That’s why I pulled the fire alarm before leaving the building. When everybody asked who pulled the alarm, I told them and I said that my HVAC cabinet was smoking. I didn’t technically see flames, but the smoke was really bad. I pointed to the smoke coming from the window and people could see. The firefighters came and everything and they took care of everything. The HVAC workers discovered the issue and were able to take out the old HVAC and install something modern and safe.

Rooftop HVAC