I have an allergy to mold that I didn’t discover until I stayed at a friends cabin for a few weeks several years ago.
I was having the worst allergic reactions until I decided to see a lung, allergy, and respiratory specialist.
They ran a few tests and took samples to see what was going on with our body’s aggressive histamine response. The specialists figured out that I was allergic to mold, tree pollen, and soybeans after questioning myself and others extensively following our test results. I had signs of mold exposure in our body and was given medication to improve our respiratory troubles. In the years since, I have gone out of our way to avoid dealing with mold in any capacity. It’s honestly tough because it seems to be as ubiquitous in human living spaces as dirt or dust. Some people are superb about protecting their homes and the indoor air quality from these dangerous airborne contaminants, however others either don’t care or can’t detect the mold themselves. The range of the human olfactory response is massive. If both of us compared it to vision, 2 people within the “normal” olfactory range could differ as much as a blind lady and 1 with 20-20 vision. I might test at “normal” for our nose’s ability to detect odors in the environment, despite the fact that I option up things that others don’t. My window a/c starts to odor moldy if you use it for too long without cleaning it. I will start noticing an issue that our bestie doesn’t. I get out the a/c cleaning spray and she will ask myself and others why, claiming that the window a/c isn’t dirty yet. She just doesn’t have the same mold sensitivity that I do.